26 janvier 2009

Forklift waltz

It all started with a train trip to access the foot of the Niremont, a large hill that spreads from Chatel-St-Denis to Bulle, in the swiss Prealps.


From Semsales, I fixed my snowshoes on and started up through dense woodland. I emerged out in the open some 30 minutes later. Here, the northern winds had shaped the snow into smooth curves that delicately suggested the underlying topography.


Mist loomed around the trees halfway up the eastern slopes. I made my way through frozen marshes and small spruces.


Finally, BANG, sunlight, summit! In these catholic territories, almost every prominence has its cross, no surprise. But beneath this one I met a small troup of holiday makers over from England, New Zealand and Holland; we chatted, good fellas, and a smashing camera held by mister Lee Copple (that's him on the right, hello Lee!) out hunting for 100strangers, check it out: www.flickr.com/photos/copple/


For those of you who always look ahead and don't believe in looking back on things: well, I find it's sometimes worth it!


And now for something completely different. I was very fortunate to witness, as I walked into Chatel-St-Denis at the end of the day, a rare and moving event: a herd of waltzing forklifts. It was magnificent, but -alas!- short-lived, as the blushing drivers spotted me staring at their performance. It was a non-competitive stare (http://www.avydia.com/), but the machines cleared off nonetheless. I managed to snap a picture as they were leaving.

Aucun commentaire: